Sunday, November 7, 2010

What a weekend!

I admit it - I am watching the pageant DVD for the second time today. Ok - I didn't actually watch the entire thing yet, but I am a little obsessed. Thanks to Juliann Schindler for an awesome memoir and a great resource! As I watch, I am looking for my strengths and weaknesses as a contestant, while enjoying the pageant like an audience member, something I rarely get to do. If you would like to order your own copy, check out the Miss Thousand Islands website for more information! It's definitely worth it, and the proceeds of course benefit the scholarship fund. Ok, enough about the DVD - onto my weekend!

Well, my weekend started prematurely when I had to be picked up and taken home from school by my dad, due to a case of what Jess Renzi might call the 'plague'. After four days of sleep, I was up bright and early on Saturday morning for a full day of Miss TI happenings and pageant family reunions. The day started out with a breakfast meeting at the Clubhouse, during which I guzzled hot tea for my sore throat, while we discussed the Alphabet of Pageant Prep - something Shelby, Sue, and Corri invented to efficiently run our meeting, without forgetting anything. It was really helpful to me because I was able to take each pointer and bit of advice, process it, and then prepare for the next. Afterwards, we headed back to Sue's for a quick pit stop before meeting up with April McClintock to see proofs from my photo shoot! So exciting! I have been looking forward to this for weeks, especially after seeing the two teasers on April's Facebook page, but I have to say, I think Shelby and my mom were even more excited. The pictures all turned out wonderful, and I just want to thank April again for her creative eye and for working with us! The photos are truly fabulous. Sorry to say, you'll have to wait to see them! :-) Once we were done looking at the pictures, we visited with Kathy Lettiere at A Touch of Grace, our gown sponsor, for some preliminary dress shopping! Even though I was feeling a little tired and under the weather, I was more than happy to try on every dress that we laid eyes on. I will say that we found at least two dresses/styles/colors that are on our list of potential evening gowns! Wooo! Now, I could probably dress shop all day long, but Saturday night was my first big speaking event, and I still needed preparation, so we headed home. I have to add here, that when we left the shop, it was SNOWING! :-)

Alright, on to the big event! Because my platform deals with the importance of the arts, Jess Renzi, former Miss New York State, and resident of Watertown, had contacted me soon after I was crowned with an awesome opportunity to team up with the North Country Arts Council. I was elated when I was asked to speak at their Fall Art Show on the importance of arts in community. For me, this is a topic very close to my heart. We were invited to attend the reception prior to the awards ceremony, which is when I would speak. I was lucky enough to be able to check out all of the artwork on display in the State Office Building and meet and greet with some of the other guests before going on stage to speak. The speech went very well, and it was a great learning experience overall. I was really happy to have the opportunity to demonstrate my public speaking skills while talking about something that is so important to me. Thank you to Jessica Renzi, Kari Robertson, and the North Country Arts Council.

Before I go, I would like to give a quick shout out to all of my pageant sisters who just appeared on the DVD - yes I am still, watching. The famous Irish Step Dancing Walck's are doing their thing, so until next time!

Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment