Friday, March 25, 2011

Spring Break happenings!

So sorry for the delay in this post - I had written the entire thing, but failed to post it, earlier this week! It's been a very busy first week back, and I have to admit that I kind of wish break had lasted a little longer. However, with so many exciting events coming up, I suppose staying busy, working my way through heaping to-do piles, will help suppress the excitement and make the time go a little faster, while still enjoying the time in between! So, before I tell you all about my busy spring break, here are some upcoming events in my life that I am really looking forward to:

April 1 & 2: Lyme Central School's Musical Production of Grease - my little brother Sky is starring as Danny Zuko! After bribing him to help out in the chorus last summer in Cinderella, he is back on stage and pretty soon I can say, "told ya so!"

April 2: Crescent Yacht Club Junior Division Chili Cook-Off - to benefit the Junior Division Swim & Sail program where I work in the summer - come taste my "Staff Chili"!

April 3: Zumba for Baby Kate with Holly & Dani, and Morgan & Ashley! In my last post I asked that you all send prayers for Baby Kate who is currently in critical condition after a tragic incident. To help out this loving family, several Zumba instructors, including myself, will be hosting this benefit to raise funds and celebrate Kate's life! Everyone is invited to this 1st Birthday Zumba benefit for Kate - details here : http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=198216583542290

April 3: LA on Broadway at Lafargeville Central School - In high school, my mom and I performed in this community production for two years, and following my graduation I was unable to continue. However, I always try to make it back for the performances! La on Broadway is an annual fundraiser musical revue that changes up each year, so the songs are always a surprise!

April 9: MISS NEW YORK STATE WORKSHOP!!! I am SO looking forward to this. I am really eager to meet all of the girls, and learn more about the entire experience! Only 14 more days!

Just a little busy over the next few weeks...

Now to tell you all about my exciting spring break! Being home for a week was so great not only to catch up with friends and family, but also because I had more time to dedicate to representing the Thousand Islands at local events and speaking engagements.

In addition to the Miss Ireland pageant, mock interview session, and dress hunting that I already posted about, I spoke at two local schools and also helped out at an event hosted by Highway Legends. Highway Legends is a classic vehicle club that raises money for Children's Miracle Network and Wounded Warriors. When I was asked to attend this event, I couldn't say no!

My long weekend of appearances started out on Thursday when I visited a senior psychology class at Immaculate Heart Central to speak about my platform, community service, and bullying. Seniors can definitely prove difficult to speak to, especially in the morning, but I felt that out conversation was engaging and effective. Thanks to Mrs. Brady for inviting me to visit her classroom!

On Friday, I spent the whole day at my mom's school, LaFargeville Central. My morning started out with some observations for a research project I am working on this semester. After I got my homework out of the way, I visited a kindergarten and second grade class to read some of my favorite childhood stories, and talk about their character education theme, Forgiveness. I always really enjoy my time spent in the classroom! That afternoon I had been asked to speak at the character education assemblies on the same topic, Forgiveness. I must admit, it was challenging to come up with a way to express the importance of forgiveness in a way that children can relate to. Luckily, my mom was able to share a story about a time in my childhood when I had to learn the meaning of forgiveness which really helped me to focus my speeches. I spoke to groups of K - 3 and 4 - 6, and after finishing my speech each time, I was able to help hand out awards to students, and at the end, I was so honored to also be awarded with a medal and certificate presented to me by the Elementary Principal, Mrs. Anita James. I would like to thank all of the teacher, students, and especially Mrs. James, and Superintendent Whitney for welcoming me into their school and giving me the opportunity to speak on this important topic!

Lastly, on Saturday I attended the Highway Legends fundraiser dinner held at Bistro 108 in Watertown. The benefit raised funds for Children's Miracle Network and Wounded Warriors. After a lovely dinner of crab cakes, followed by I delicious mint-chocolate treat, I had the chance to thank the guests for their support, and then help draw raffle tickets! At one point, I think some people thought I might have rigged it after pulling my mom, dad, Sue, AND Gary consecutively! Thanks to the Highway Legends for inviting me to this event, and I look forward to helping out at their Thousand Islands Extravaganza May 20, 21, and 22, when I will have the opportunity to award a car the Miss Thousand Islands Award, and help with several other events! Keep your eye out for information on this event, and join Kaili & I for a great time!

That's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment