Thursday, September 9, 2010

Updates!

Hi everyone! Sorry it has been so long since my last post - it's been a busy couple of weeks! Now that I have some free time before work in the Journalism Department, I have a few things I'd like to share with you.

Last weekend, I received and e-mail from an Ithacan writer. The Ithacan is a student-run publication at Ithaca College. The writer told me that she was doing a story on pageants for the widely read newspaper. Thanks to my pageant sister, Lauren Crandall, for giving her my name! :-) Naturally, I was very excited, and after consulting with Shelby and Sue, I agreed to be interviewed. Earlier this morning I met with the writer and we had a really nice conversation about pageantry, my experience in pageants, within the Miss America system, benefits of pageantry, how I became involved in Miss Thousand Islands and others, and of course, one of the questions was, 'What did it feel like when that crown was put on your head???" While it was really nice to flash back to my crowning moment and share with her how ecstatic and shocked I was (remember the face? :-O), I really enjoyed being able to tell her what pageants are really like - not Drop Dead Gorgeous, even though I (and Corri Dartnell) love this movie! We talked about my talent, too - NOT lip syncing to "Don't Cry Out Loud". Anyway, I am really excited to read the article and I hope that it will help to show what a wonderful experience pageants are, and I hope it will encourage other girls to participate in pageants as a way to gain scholarship money and of course, friends and fond memories. I made sure to express to the writer all of my skills that have been improved through pageantry as well, such as public speaking, self confidence, self expression, and so much more. Did I mention there's a photo shoot??? So excited for that! I'll keep you all updated on that and make sure to post a link to the online article!

Other than that, I will attend my first breakfast meeting with Shelby, Sue, and Gary this weekend and I am really looking forward to that...especially breakfast! :-) Unfortunately, the Miss Italia Pageant has been postponed, but I am looking forward to appearing at the pageant, hopefully next month. Oh and there is another very important date this weekend - MY BIRTHDAY!!! On Sunday, September 12, I will turn 20 years old! Ahhhh...it seems like just yesterday I was turning 18 and thinking that I was old...now, two years later...I'm no longer a teen! I am really excited to spend the weekend home with my family, friends, and boyfriend, Tony. It's going to be a busy weekend, but if you know me, you know that I'm ALWAYS busy. Anyway, my birthday weekend starts tonight (I lobbied for a birthday week but it didn't work) with a fun dinner at Chili's with my roommates and friends from school. Tomorrow, I will head back to the Thousand Islands, and spend time at home. Saturday starts bright and early with a Miss TI breakfast, and then will be spent going to the Burrville Cider Mill (one of my favorite places...ever) to indulge in fresh apple cider, DONUTS, Croghan bologna, and cheese curd, shopping at the Silver Shoppe with my cousin Kelly (another favorite Thousand Islands exclusive), and an assortment of other places! I'm really looking forward to bundling up in sweats and sitting by the lake, at a bon fire with all of my friends on Saturday night. Finally, Sunday, my actual birthday, will be spent at the Carthage Augustinian School, becoming a ZUMBA instructor! I am thrilled to be able to spend my birthday doing ZUMBA (especially since this weekend will surely include delicious food), even though it is from 9am -6pm. Nonetheless, I am really looking forward to this experience and being able to teach ZUMBA classes, meaning I will get paid to work out - perfect preparation for Miss New York! The weekend will commence with a family and boyfriend dinner at the restaurant of my choice, and then it's an early morning drive back to Ithaca on Monday.

I'm sure this weekend will inspire a new blog post - talk with you then!

Morgan

1 comment:

  1. Soooo...you WON'T be lip synching to "Don't Cry Out Loud" for your talent at state?! Damn...I should probably return the wheelchair I rented for you, then. Haha, happy birthday, Morgan!

    ReplyDelete